Thursday, July 1, 2010

Acapulco, Mexico
















So I pulled into Acapulco to see what all the fuss was about and I was delighted to see that it had quite a nice beach front and because its low season I had the beach and pretty much the hostal all to myself.

In the morning I happned to spy a lonely Planet Guide book behind the front desk at the hostal and asked if I could buy it, or atleast borrow it. I was allowed to look at it for the day and so I took off towards Star Bucks for some over priced Java and spent the better part of the afternoon planning the next 5000km of my trip through mexico and circling towns and sights on my route home.


In the late afternoon I took off on a stroll down the main drag past all the neon pretty lights and filled up on local street meat. After eating I b-lined it to the beach and walked the better part of 2km before encountering one of the girls who was staying at the same hostal as I was. As we got talking we both remembered that Acapulco was famous for cliff diving. Off we went to catch a Volkswagon beetle taxi to the cliffs. As fate would have it we arrived with ten minutes to spare and the cliff diving men we just walking down to the water to scale the cliff and then plummet to the water depths in a display of athletic esthetics flipping and soaring their way down the 100 plus foot cliff. It was amasing and a great way to end the evening before sunset.

In the morning I'm off to follow my route up the Pacific coast heading towards Puerto Vallarta.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Canada Day!! Awesome pics! Heard you on CBC last week (this week?), great stories!

    ReplyDelete